There is only documented news from 1757 in charter of D. José also signed by the Marquis of Pombal.
Of the seven wells built only three that remain for their rarity were considered buildings of public interest.
These three rough construction of wells are round inside; however two are octagonal on the outside and one is circular. Are covered with stone vaults flat bell-shaped and the whole was built with black stone region. Each well has a single door, close to east facing, such as to prevent, when the sun is strongest, to enter through the narrow door and melt the snow stored there.
Using ladders, made of rough wood, the men descended to the bottom of these wells – which then had deeper than a dozen meters – and as they were being evicted them baskets with snow were treading this with heavy wooden packs wielding vigorously in the manner of today’s road workers.
Callous, isolated between the walls smoothed by stucco, then covered with straw and fetuses, the snow kept up these large reservoirs until the summer – without a ray of sun you could get.
When it was warm weather, the snow was cut and followed in large blocks to Lisbon. Shipping was done as a first step in ronceiros oxcarts. Only three or four of these large blocks could be loaded in such robust carts and were carefully wrapped in straw, in fetuses, even in burlap or even tucked into crates.
But even so, says the oral testimony that much snow was lost by the path taken through the tortuous paths of the mountain, almost painfully.
Miranda do Corvo made it the first changes of animals and after the cars left for Constance where the land, went to the river to the Palace Square where they were made tasty ice cream for the King and his court, as tasty the Lisbon people sought in the Martinho da Arcada and other cafes.